Bill’s travelogues are hilarious. I truly do laugh out loud when reading his work. A Walk in the Woods is a classic.
- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail – Bryson attempts to walk the 2,100 mile Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, joined by Katz, his gloriously out-of-shape friend from high school.
- In a Sunburned Country – Bryson fearfully takes on Australia. You’ll learn and laugh a lot with this tale from down under.
- Notes from a Small Island– Bryson travels about the United Kingdom, where he lived for two decades.
- Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe – Bryson and Katz backpacked across Europe in the early 1970s. Twenty years later Bryson decides to retrace his route.
- I’m a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away – Bryson returns to the US after two decades abroad. He find his home country has changed more than he imagined.
- The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America – Bryson leaves his native Des Moines, Iowa to explore 38 states.
David made his mark with his hilarious tale of his job as Macy’s elf, SantaLand Diaries. You really need to buy the audio versions of his work, as his inimitable reading style helps the humor strike home. His semi-accurate autobiographical humor is self-deprecating as he shares tales of his early years in Raleigh, North Carolina and his many weird jobs, his homosexuality, and his life in France with his boyfriend, Hugh Hamrick.
- Holidays on Ice: Stories – This collection of holiday tales includes the classic SantaLand Diaries and the Christmas letter that spirals out of control: Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!
- Me Talk Pretty One Day
Return to recommendations list